Happy New Year Band Family!!
2019 was a great year for our band program and we are looking forward to a fantastic 2020 – we have much to be excited about and look forward to.
This winter and spring we will have 3 major fundraisers, Winter Drum Line, Winter Guard, Pep Band for basketball games, spring concerts AND begin planning for the next marching season.
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Friday, January 10th Basketball Pep Band – Come out and support the band as they get the crowd hyped for the basketball game!
- Tuesday, January 14th 6:30pm, Auditorium – Rising Freshman Information meeting for parents & students (more information below)
- Tuesday, January 21st 6:30pm, Auditorium – MANDATORY PARENT MEETING for “Winter on the Summit” (WOTS) (more information below)
- Tuesday, January 28th Basketball Pep Band – Come out and support the band as they get the crowd hyped for the basketball game!
- Saturday, February 1st – Winter on the Summit – 10:00am-10:00pm estimated
- Friday, February 14th – Valentines Day Dinner & Dance
- Thursday, February 20th – CPA Preview Concert (Concert Performance Assessment)
As we said near the close of the first semester, please remember that just because the official competitions & football season are over, that does not mean that Band is over. We still have concerts, basketball games, Winter Guard & Winter Drum Line competitions to look forward to. There are lots of fundraisers coming up throughout the remainder of the school year, like the Valentines Dinner and Dance, Winter on the Summit (WOTS) & Spring on the Summit (SOTS). These fundraising events help us feed the general fund so that we can continue to make purchases of new instruments and equipment to help us be bigger and better in the future. If you still have an outstanding balance in Charms, please settle that up as soon as possible or contact Tami Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Winter on the Summit (WOTS)
Mark your calendars for Saturday, February 1st!
We need LOTS of help with this event. This is NOT only for Winter Guard, but the entire band is expected to assist with this event, which is also our largest fundraiser of the year.
- Students will begin signing up for shifts with Mr. Harris and Mr. Atchley soon. ALL band students are expected to “work” the day of the event. If they can’t be there, they need to have a conversation with Mr. Harris or Mr. Atchley
- Parents – we also need A LOT of parents signing up for shifts this day. Shifts are available on Charms – so please sign up!!! Please be aware that times are “soft” as we don’t have the final schedule for the day from the SGCG organization currently. We will update as soon as we have that information to confirm times.
- Parents we will need donations for the Concession Stand as this is a big money maker during this event. We also need donations for the Hospitality Room that is set up for the Judges, Guard Staff and Bus Drivers. We will be sending out Sign-Up Genius links for these items soon. Please help us out by making donations or if you have connections with Restaurants and Food Providers that might be willing to make donations, please let us know.
- Please find attached to the email information on purchasing an Ad for the WOTS program to recognize your band student. We’d love to see lots of student highlights.
- If your child needs help fundraising and they would be interested in selling Progam Ads to local businesses, please contact Laurie Kamunen.
Tuesday, January 21st – MANDATORY PARENT MEETING for “Winter on the Summit”
Valentine’s Dinner & Dance
We are hosting a Valentine’s Dinner & Dance on Friday, February 14th from 6:30-9:30pm. The event will take place in building C at the Thompson’s Station Church. Dinner is being catered by Boom Bozz and consists of Pasta, Salad, Bread, Drinks and Dessert. Entertainment features local musicians “5 Points Swing” playing many romantic favorites along with swing classics. A long stem rose will be given to every lady in attendance and we will be holding a Silent Auction.
Tickets are available through Eventbrite online at: https://bit.ly/37XQ7uj
Please help us promote this as it is open to band parents as well as adults in the community. We are hoping for a full house of 250 people to attend.
- Kelly Clark is organizing the Silent Auction for the event. We would like to see items donated for the Auction that are “couple” related such as: Weekend getaways, couple’s massages, dinner out, entertainment packages, etc. If you can help us attain some of these donations, please contact Kelly.
- Each Section will be responsible for putting together a “Valentine’s” themed basket for the Auction. Please be watching for details from your Section Moms regarding items they need donated.
- If you would be interested in working this event or helping with the decorating earlier that day, please contact SpartanBandFundraising@gmail.com
- We will have students sign up to work as “waiters” for each table. We will notify you when the sign ups are available on Charms.
Please contact Kelly Clark at 931-619-7716 or email Rkclark77@gmail.com
Spring on the Summit: Home, Lawn & Garden Show
We are still awaiting confirmation from the school regarding our proposed date, but pencil in Saturday, April 18th for now. If you are interested in serving on a committee to help organize this event, please contact Laurie or Kelly at SpartanBandFundraising@gmail.com
Committees are: Booth Organization, Advertising, Concessions, Door Prizes, Sponsorships, Set-Up/Clean-Up.
Rising Freshman & Parent Information Meeting
We will be hosting the current 8th grade band students and their parents on January 14th @6:30pm in the Band room for the first of 2 informational meetings. Parents and students will have the opportunity to hear from and ask questions of the Directors, Student Leadership and members of the Board. Students at SSMS & TSMS visit with the Directors weekly and their band directors have information about this meeting that will be passed along to parents.
***We will be hosting another rising freshman event in March***
Winter Drum Line Competition Schedule
- Saturday, February 22nd @ Columbia HS Time TBD
- Saturday, February 29th @ Bob Jones HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 7th – Time and Location TBD
- Saturday, March 14th @Spring Hill HS Time TBD
- Sunday, March 29th @WKU Time TBD
Winter Guard Competition Schedule
- Saturday February 1st @Winter on the Summit Time TBD
- Saturday, February 15th @Wilson Central HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 14th @Spring Hill HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 28th @WKU Time TBD
Your Charms Account
- Charms is a key part to so many aspects of your student’s marching season
- PLEASE access your Charms account and update your contact information (adult/parent info, address, phone number & frequently checked email)
- You will also find the Charms Store, Pledge tracking & Fundraising there – all VERY important this time of year
- If you are not getting emails or have not accessed your student’s Charms account yet, please email email@example.com
Recommended Product Vendors – Hats, Shirts, Cups, etc. Great gifts/items for Band Parents and Students
1) Vinyl Creations & More
Hope Saylors (previous Band parent)
Has added an album that is specific to Summit HS & Band items
2) The Grafix Station
MK Burt (current Band parent)
3) Bling Wear (shirts & hats, etc)
Blingcons.com (also on ETSY)
615-585-9399 (tell him you are a parent with Summit Band)
4) Ashlee Fay Designs (Glitter Tumblers, custom shirts)
Former Spring Hill resident