January 20th, 2020
We had a GREAT parent meeting for our rising 9th graders last Tuesday night – the Band Room was packed and we are very excited about the potential number of students joining the band program for the 2020-2021 school year. We will host a ‘March Madness Hype Night’ on March 31st to continue the momentum and excitement for the incoming freshman (more details to come).
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Tuesday, January 21st 6:30pm, Auditorium – MANDATORY PARENT MEETING for “Winter on the Summit” (WOTS) (more information below)
- Tuesday, January 28th Basketball Pep Band – Come out and support the band as they get the crowd hyped for the basketball game!
- Saturday, February 1st – Winter on the Summit – 10:00am-10:00pm estimated
- Friday, February 14th – Valentines Day Dinner & Dance
- Thursday, February 20th – CPA Preview Concert (Concert Performance Assessment)
We have a ‘new addition’ to our Summit Band Family – a 16ft trailer!!! We will now be Penske-free and will use this trailer for transporting instruments to parades, props & instruments to Winter Guard & DrumLine competitions and props & equipment for marching band competitions. Stay tuned, it will soon be painted & wrapped similarly to the big trailer.
Winter on the Summit (WOTS)
Mark your calendars for Saturday, February 1st!
We need LOTS of help with this event. This is NOT only for Winter Guard, but the entire band is expected to assist with this event, which is also our LARGEST fundraiser of the year.
- Students will begin signing up for shifts with Mr. Harris and Mr. Atchley soon. ALL band students are expected to “work” the day of the event. If they can’t be there, they need to have a conversation with Mr. Harris or Mr. Atchley
- Parents – we also need A LOT of parents signing up for shifts this day. Shifts are available on Charms – so please sign up!!! If you want to volunteer but the posted shifts don’t work for you – please let Alissa Anderson know at SpartanBandVolunteer@gmail.com and we WILL find a place for you!!
- Parents we will need donations for the Concession Stand as this is a BIG money maker during this event. We also need donations for the Hospitality Room that is set up for the Judges, Guard Staff and Bus Drivers. We will be sending out Sign-Up Genius links for these items soon. Please help us out by signing up and making donations or if you have connections with Restaurants and Food Providers that might be willing to make donations, please let us know.
- We will also accept monetary donations to purchase concession/hospitality items from Sam’s club. If you would like to contribute in this way, please email email@example.com to make those arrangements.
- Please find attached to the email information on purchasing an Ad for the WOTS program to recognize your band student. We’d love to see lots of student highlights.
- If your child needs help fundraising and they would be interested in selling Program Ads to local businesses, please contact Laurie Kamunen.
Tuesday, January 21st – MANDATORY PARENT MEETING for “Winter on the Summit” to go over event details and a walk through of volunteer areas.
Valentine’s Dinner & Dance
We are hosting a Valentine’s Dinner & Dance on Friday, February 14th from 6:30-9:30pm. The event will take place in building C at the Thompson’s Station Church. Dinner is being catered by Boom Bozz and consists of Pasta, Salad, Bread, Drinks and Dessert. Entertainment features local musicians “5 Points Swing” playing many romantic favorites along with swing classics. A long stem rose will be given to every lady in attendance and we will be holding a Silent Auction. Please help us sell tickets – tell friends & family
Tickets are available through Eventbrite online at: https://bit.ly/37XQ7uj
Please help us promote this as it is open to band parents as well as adults in the community. We are hoping for a full house of 250 people to attend.
- Kelly Clark is organizing the Silent Auction for the event. We would like to see items donated for the Auction that are “couple” related such as: Weekend getaways, couple’s massages, dinner out, entertainment packages, etc. If you can help us attain some of these donations, please contact Kelly.
- Each Section will be responsible for putting together a “Valentine’s” themed basket for the Auction. Please be watching for details from your Section Moms regarding items they need donated.
- If you would be interested in working this event or helping with the decorating earlier that day, please contact SpartanBandFundraising@gmail.com
- We will have students sign up to work as “waiters” for each table. We will notify you when the sign ups are available on Charms.
Please contact Kelly Clark at 931-619-7716 or email Rkclark77@gmail.com
Spring on the Summit: Home, Lawn & Garden Show
We have been approved to hold this event on Saturday, April 18th from 9am-4pm. If you are interested in serving on a committee to help organize this event, please contact Laurie or Kelly at SpartanBandFundraising@gmail.com
Committees are: Booth Organization, Advertising, Concessions, Door Prizes, Sponsorships, Set-Up/Clean-Up.
Winter Drum Line Competition Schedule
- Saturday, February 22nd @ Columbia HS Time TBD
- Saturday, February 29th @ Bob Jones HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 7th – Time and Location TBD
- Saturday, March 14th @Spring Hill HS Time TBD
- Sunday, March 29th @WKU Time TBD
Winter Guard Competition Schedule
- Saturday February 1st @Winter on the Summit Time TBD
- Saturday, February 15th @Wilson Central HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 14th @Spring Hill HS Time TBD
- Saturday, March 28th @WKU Time TBD
Your Charms Account
- Charms is a key part to so many aspects of your student’s marching season
- PLEASE access your Charms account and update your contact information (adult/parent info, address, phone number & frequently checked email)
- You will also find the Charms Store, Pledge tracking & Fundraising there – all VERY important this time of year
- If you are not getting emails or have not accessed your student’s Charms account yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Product Vendors – Hats, Shirts, Cups, etc. Great gifts/items for Band Parents and Students
1) Vinyl Creations & More
Hope Saylors (previous Band parent)
Has added an album that is specific to Summit HS & Band items
2) The Grafix Station
MK Burt (current Band parent)
3) Bling Wear (shirts & hats, etc)
Blingcons.com (also on ETSY)
615-585-9399 (tell him you are a parent with Summit Band)
4) Ashlee Fay Designs (Glitter Tumblers, custom shirts)
Former Spring Hill resident